It begins to populate after 1860, when Mr. Juan Luis Lacaze , a businessman that had taken part in the construction of the port at La Paloma (Department of Rocha, Uruguay) as well as in the exploitation of gold mines at Minas de Corrales (Department of Rivera, Uruguay)
Starting in 1884, under Lavalle, Médice&Co. builders of the structures at the La Plata (Argentina) port, he opens the Lacaze&Co. company for the exploit of the quarries of the Minuano Brook.
Beginning in 1896 they build and expand the Sauce port with a 72-meter long breakwater, a 97-meter long dock, and big warehouses. They also built a railway that communicates with the Route to Minuano, from where they also extracted stone to build the streets of La Plata.
They also used the railway to transport the bluish granite to be used in the construction of the Congress building in Buenos Aires.
The Sauce port was the exit channel for the products from the surrounding areas, so naturally, the city developed.
The National Railways built an extension of their lines from the city of Rosario up to there.
A year after Mr. Lacaze died in Germany (August, 1908), Puerto Sauce’s name is changed to Juan Lacaze.
The great development undergone by this area during most of the 20th. century was due to the installation of two major industrial complexes that would make use of the exit to the sea offered by the port: the National Paper mill (1898), and the Salvo Textile Factory (1905), later purchased by Mr. Campomar, the two most important factories, in their specialty, in the country.
At present, with a population of 12,966, the paper mill continues to be one of the economic engines of the city, together with the shipping activities through its port with its 7 meters of depth, as well as the tourist activity because of their marina that attracts the lovers of sports sailing.